Friday, July 23, 2010

Adjustment

So our Soldier is home. Hubs has been home for 3 weeks now. (this post has been in save mode for 2 weeks) I'm so glad that he is home safe because that is one less worry I have to think about.  That's one less thing I have to have on my mind and that's one less time I have to wonder why he has not called in 2 days and what is happening for there to be a lack of communication.  Strangely, while he was gone, I didn't talk much about my worries.  Of course I had a lot of worries.  I knew that there were bombs going off on a regular basis not far enough away from the base.  I knew there were people being injured and attempted kidnappings going on right there where he was. I chose not to talk about these things often.  I think it was kind of a coping mechanism.  If I didn't talk about it, it wasn't a scary thing.

So now it's all over and he is home.

Now, of course, we are in an adjustment phase.  We were given classes to be prepared for this phase.  They tell the Soldiers that things are going to be different when you go home.  After a year, the spouses have developed a routine and to try not to go in and start stepping on toes.  The kids are use to there being one parent.  Go into "being a parent" again easily, giving time for the kids to adjust.

This is our first deployment, and hopefully our last.  I'm adjusting to him being here okay. He asks tons of questions that I have to get use to answering again.  When I start doing the laundry, he still takes over and finishes, just as he use to do.  Can't complain that the man does laundry.  Can, however complain that he doesn't do it my way, putting towels in with the regular clothes and not washing whites and lights separately.  AND he doesn't FOLD the laundry.  

I HATE FOLDING LAUNDRY!  

I can wash clothes all day.  Not a problem there.  But I will leave clothes in the basket for DAYS before I get around to folding them.  

YOU WANNA HELP, BUDDY?  

Let ME wash and YOU FOLD!  THAT'S a HUGE help!  I try not to say anything, though.

We are not doing great. I talked a little about our marriage and the issues here.  Funny, there really isn't much in this blog about my marriage.  Another case if me feeling like if I don't talk about it, it's not happening, I guess.  Just smile because everything is fine.  But truth is, I'm still wondering if everything really is fine. Military is hard on families.  He has been gone 3 years out of the last 7. That's a lot of time to be separated.  It's no wonder so many end in divorce.

No comments: