Saturday, November 13, 2010

Does my skin define who I am?

I was surfing Facebook, like I do often, and I came across a post by BlackFolksThink.com stating this:

Hey Black Folkz...got a question...let's talk about titles. I hear a lot of people say that they are this before they are black. For example, ,I am a blogger who happens to be black. I am the opposite...I am a black blogger. Why is it hard for people to be proud of being a black and then their title. I hope I am making sense.
 While there were several responding with their own opinions, I decided to post my own: 
I think that in order for us to stop being a nation that is divided by our race, we have to stop teaching our children to see color. I am proud to be who I am. I am black, but at the same time I don't want to define myself by the color of my skin. I do not teach my children to see color among themselves and their friends. They know that they are black, and they cherish that, but I think that if we want our nation to stop seeing us by the color of our skin and start seeing us as equals then we have to do the same.
 So there you have it.  I stick by this comment, because I honestly believe that while I am proud of my brown skin, it does not define who I am.  I mean, this is what our ancestors fought for, right?  All comments welcome on this one.

7 comments:

Amber said...

I think your response was perfect.

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. I am not defined by the color of my skin. I mean, if you are white, would you say, "I'm a white blogger?" I shouldn't have to define myself based on my nationality either. I am Simone, a woman who loves God, her family and doing good for others.

Alexandra Elizabeth said...

Thanks for sharing. I think that this topic is sensitive for alot of people. For many that I know, they are die hard pro-black supporters. They are quick to tell anyone and everyone that they are Black and proud to be Black. Of course there is nothing wrong with this, as we are all different. People still stay very defined by their race, sometimes by force or by choice. For me, I'd say that I am a Mother, I'm a Woman, I'm a Dreamer, who happens to be African American and Colombian. For me, I can switch up what makes me, me and still be me. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I see both sides of the debate, but I tend to agree more with your perspective. I think that being black has helped define who I am, but I don't put limits on who I am. Yes, I am black, but I'm also just a blogger. I can't deny that I'm a black woman whose opinions and views are shaped by my heritage.

Unknown said...

I respect your perspective. However, it's been my experience that issues of race find us ... and will find our children ... whether we want it to happen or not. Therefore, I prefer to arm my children (and myself) with massive doses of self-love and self-knowledge about what it means to be a person of African descent in America. Learning about Black history and Black contributions to today's culture is something that isn't being taught be others ... we need to teach it ourselves.

Anyhow, I appreciate the difficulty of the issue in all of our households.

peace, Villager

Diva's Thoughts said...

I totally agree with your response!

Unknown said...

I am delighted by the different opinions. I understand both sides of this argument. For me, it's not about color. I grew up an army brat and I think that life taught me to not see people for the color of their skin because my friends and my school were a big melting pot. I teach my children the same. I teach them about what our ancestors have fought for and of the struggles of the past, but I want them to look not see color. Because I've always wished the whole world could be that way.

(stepping off my soapbox)