Monday, September 19, 2011

15mph PLEASE!

It seems that every morning I have to motion for someone to SLOW DOWN in the school zones.

Here on Ft. Huachuca, school zones are 15mph, which is a snail's crawl.  

It's pretty obvious when a car isn't going 15!  

I often try to control the speeders in the school zone where my child crosses the street.  Now, I know that it's not my job to do this because I'm not an MP, but I am a parent and I have 3 kids that use this school zone 5 days a week.  I want people to take heed to the school zones!
 

I wave my hand every morning to motion for SOMEONE to slow down.  Do you know that the majority of these drivers are women?!?  You'll find drivers throwing up their hands in defense as if to say "Hey, I'm not speeding."  But there's a hug difference between 25 and 15.  

Granted, the school zones signs in our area are very confusing because there's not sign that says END SCHOOL ZONE, so in the defense of these drivers, some think that as soon as they get past the the yellow crosswalk they can go back to normal speeds.  That's not the case.  And granted, unlike what I'm use to on the east coast, the school zones speed limits are for the entire time that school is in session, not just during the times that kids are going to school and coming from school.  But that's beside the point.

I'm not perfect by any means.  I have a lead foot very often, but I feel that when you are in a school zone during the times when kids may be crossing, it is a driver's duty to keep the kids safe and drive slow.

So, until someone tells me differently or drivers suddenly decide to adhere to the 15mph signs at all time, I will continue to play mini-cop and warn these drivers about speeding.  

Those are MY kids out there!

1 comment:

Aleksandra Nearing said...

15mph is a CRAWL. Very noticeably different from 25!