Tuesday, September 20, 2011

PCSing and the Military Spouse.

PCSing is a challenging time for any military family.  Okay, moving in itself is hard, so I'm not trying to discredit any of my readers who aren't military and have had to move, but there's something to be said about moving in the military.

PCS or Permanent Change of Station is a term that shouldn't be used because when it comes to the military, our change of station is never permanent!

I think that one of the hardest things about PCSing is the fact that you know that you will have to do it again within the next 2 to 5 years.  5 years for those that are lucky!

A few days ago, I asked my Huachuca Wives this question:

What is one thing that could have made your PCS to Ft. Huachuca easier?
Most of the responses revolved around having someone, a sponsor, to show them the ropes when they got here.

I had to agree.  

Okay, as many of you know, moving to a new place is hard work.  Moving to a place where you know absolutely no one or nothing about the area can be down right discouraging.  

The units are suppose to assign each in-coming soldier a sponsor to help your family out when you arrive.  Not always the case.  Also, an FRG Leader should give you a call to welcome you to your new duty station.  Not always the case. 

One thing that I think would have been nice when we moved here would have been if there was a family, similar to our own, sponsoring us, showing us the ropes, telling us about the schools, the ins and out, the ups and downs.  Until I started Huachuca Wives, I didn't know anyone in the area.  I felt alone in the desert and I was in need of someone to talk to.  Huachuca Wives has given me a group of ladies who can help guide one another, learn from one another and support one another.  

I know that I can't greet every spouse that comes to the post feeling the way that I did, but I want to use Huachuca Wives to help those that are new here and in need of a friendly face.  

I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the girls and I know that while I'm here, I want to be a positive asset to as many people as I possibly can.  

Just being there in the very beginning of a person's new adventure can, if nothing else, give my fellow Military Wives a good first look at what to expect here.

PCSing isn't always easy, but having a friendly face waiting there for you can make a world of difference.


No comments: