Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fires to the left! Fires to the right!

Moving to Sierra Vista has posed more problems than I care to continue to keep on complaining about... at least not in this post.  But, here's another reason that I'm sure that Arizona is going to be the death of me.

We're surrounded by wildfires. 

There has been a wildfire brewing to the east of us for the last 3 weeks.  It's been far enough at bay that I've only been slightly concerned, keeping the thought of renting a Uhaul and packing up my entire home and livelihood in the back of my mind.  

Today, I went out for a stroll around the Walmart.  Walmart gets a "the" when it's like "the" mall of the city.  It's the only thing there is to do for fun around here.  

When I left the Walmart about an hour later, (that's about my normal time of strolling the Superstore) I was standing in the parking lot surrounded by smoke.  

Now the smoke is to the southwest as well.  




This is a picture I took from my doorstep.  The smoke is coming right over the mountains.  I've seen several planes, which I'm assuming are going to assist in trying to put the fire out.  The air was filled with smoke and clouding my lungs when I went outside.  

So that's 2 fires.  One on the left of the city and one on the right.  The air is contaminated and I couldn't walk if I wanted to... not that I was planning too... but just in case I was, I couldn't.




2 comments:

KCSherri said...

Ew. The Red Cross Disaster worker in me says, "Be careful! Stay safe!" Have an evacuation kit ready in case you have to evacuate. Seriously. But it's probably not a big deal. We've had wildfires in Florida lately, as well. We're in a drought and the lightening strikes keep hitting the dry brush. Wear a dust mask filter if it gets too bad! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Drama Mama! Going to look up online what should be in an evacuation kit. This one was a little too close for comfort. I'm in Arizona so the chance for rain is slim and it's the desert. Not to mention the winds are high and fast. It spread from 600 acres to 4000 acres in a matter of 12 hours. Guess I should listen to the Red Cross worker and be prepared!

Kay :-)