Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Letter to my little sister.

Dear Bree,

It seems you and I have come a long way.  When you were little and I was just beginning my teen years, you drove me crazy.  You were quite possibly the most terrorizing little shit I knew.  I was MORE than happy to move away and get away from you when I got married and moved to Germany.  You were more than happy for me to leave.  I don't think we ever talked much even over the phone without some nasty words being exchanged.

I'm thankful that our relationship has changed over the years.  Thankful that we can now talk to one another without me wanting to scratch your eyeballs out.  Very thankful that we actually enjoy one another now.

Having a sister is a blessing.  A little sister is someone that you can share your knowledge with and give advice to. I do my best to do that without stepping into you life.  "You're Grown", right?  Well, at this point, your big sister still has a few pointers for her 21 year old baby sister.

Don't ever move too fast with a guy.  People show you who they want you to see when you first meet them and when they are trying to get to know you.  Take your time and get to know someone before you start thinking of moving up levels with them. Judge Mabeline always says, "Look Deep before you leap."  GREAT ADVICE.  Never let your heart get in the way of good judgment.

Mama always told me, "Never let anyone steal your joy."  It meant a lot when she told it to me. It was a time when joy was hard to find.  I want to tell you the same thing and take it a step further with your joy, your self-confidence or your ambitions.  You're my sister, which makes you at least HALF as gorgeous as I am :-)!  Don't ever forget that. Don't ever let anyone make you feel differently.  If dad didn't instill anything else in me, it was confidence in my self.  Be beautiful inside and out and that light will shine on to others.  Also, steer clear of the dream killers.  Some people are negative and don't want to see you do better for yourself.  Dream Killers will have you doubting what you can do and who you can be.  Be ambitious, little sister.  And if you want to do something, DO IT!  If you're going to dream, dream big and then go forth and accomplish!

You want to surround yourself with positive people.  Those people will guide you to do positive things.  Surround yourself with people who are looking toward a brighter future, people who want to do better and be better in life, people you aspire to be like and people who are going places.  When you do this, you start to think like these people and they teach you to do the same.

Enjoy Life, Girlie!  You only have one!
Your Big Sister, 

Kay



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful post!! It's at moments like this for about one nano second that I wish I had a sibling. Poof! It's gone! *lol* I hope your little sis appreciates it!