Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thankfully I have self control!

I'm participating in Thankful Thoughts during the month of November with
Clueless Mama at Guessing All the Way.
It gives me a chance to step back and realize all of the precious things in my life, the things I am truly thankful for.

Thankful Thoughts

I am Thankful for the rain today, because it teaches me to appreciate the sunshine. I'm really dreading getting back into my car today to pick Miss Missy up from Pre-K.
The rain has really started to come down. On days like these, I just wanna sit in my bed all day in front of the TV, watching Divorce Court, Reba, The View, Let's Make a Deal and Ellen, not really in that order.

But today, even though God blessed us with a rainy day PERFECT for those activities, I had to get up, get dressed, and get OUT.

An FRG Meeting......

I am thankful that not everyone dealing with FRG is pessimistic about EVERYTHING!

Up to this point, joining FRG has been pleasant for me. Everyone I've dealt with have been great and happy to help, except 1 person. A Leader from one of our companies.

We're planning a Holiday Party. As you know, our soldiers are deployed and many families are left behind. A Holiday Party, to me, helps to boost the morale among the family members.

Well, the theme is Candy Land. Fun, right?

Not when you have too many cooks in the kitchen!

Wow, these ladies can be like alley cats! The meeting consisted of ideas being thrown around, good ones taken into consideration, bad ones moved off the table to file 13. Well, there was one chick there, a Leader of one of our companies, who seemed to just have a problem to whatever was thrown on the table. Everything! Nothing was good enough for her. She didn't want to do anything or go outside of the box. AT ALL!

So, as you may guess, a lot of the issues come down to funding. In my experience with PTO, I've found that donations is THE best way to go. I've found that many times, in volunteer settings, you have people who want to help. You just have to ask. You would not believe how many times at the end of last year people have come to me and said, "I wanted to help, but no one asked me." And, there are so many people that simply do not have the time to give but would love to help in other ways. I.E DONATIONS!

So here was the deal. Instead of having the FRG pay for craft supplies for the kids crafts, why not ask families to donate. Immediately that was a No No for Pessimistic Leader Chick.

"Well, I already know that my families won't donate. They never do."

I told her that there was no harm in asking and that even if you don't get all of it, you might get something which cuts down the cost. That's how we do things in PTO.

"Well, not to be rude, but this isn't PTO."

OH NO SHE DI'IN!

So right before I jumped over the table and snatched her bald, someone jumped in and tried to get her to realize that she wasn't going to know unless she asked.

It ended with her rolling her eyes and saying that it was time for her to pick her her kids for an early release day. Good thing, too, because any longer and she might not have left there with all of her hair!



And I'll be going through this all over again at a PTO meeting tonight. yeah me.

No comments: