Monday, June 20, 2011

Ft. Huachuca Wildfire update

Yesterday was a hard day.  My nerves were on edge as the winds went crazy here in Ft. Huachuca.  

On a normal day, the high winds in the 100 degree weather would have been welcomed with open arms.  The winds felt wonderful.

But on this day, the wind was the enemy.

With winds gusting up to 50mph, the fire spread like... well like WILDFIRE!  The planes were downed for most of the day for the safety of the pilots.  The winds were just too strong.  And boy did that fire take advantage of those downed planes!

Up to this point, the only thing we've been able to see from our home here on base was the smoke coming from behind the mountains.  Yesterday, the winds caused huge plumes of smoke to fill the sky again and flames were able to be seen coming over the top of the Huachuca Mountains.

I'd never admit this to my husband, but I began to panic.  I glued myself to the internet as the posts on Facebook updated every second and the police scanners kept everyone informed of what was happening.

Yesterday, people lost homes and businesses.  Reading to the desperation of people wondering if their homes were still standing and worried for family and friends safety was so heartbreaking...


Many of my neighbors laugh when I tell them, but my bags are packed and ready to go.  I have never been in a wildfire zone and although we are not in the pre-evacuation zone YET and the fire is still 10 miles away, I'm not taking any chances of losing or forgetting something important to me if they do call for us to leave.  These things seem to be unpredictable and, no, the winds are not blowing the Monument Fire in our direction, but when I can see flames from my house, I need to be ready to go at the drop of a dime! 

6 comments:

KCSherri said...

Speaking as a Red Cross Disaster Services volunteer, it sounds like you are getting prepared - which is the SMART thing to do. It doesn't hurt anyone to have your stuff pre-packed and ready to go, because sometimes, evacuation can come down to where you only have minutes. Stay safe! :)

Kristin said...

I would be scared too! It reminds me of when we have hurricanes on the way here along the coast of TX. Hope that they can get it put out soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sorry to hear that this is so close to you and the family. I like that you are prepared to flee if necessary. Be as safe as you guys can!

Unknown said...

@Drama - Yes, I'd rather be prepared than un-prepared. So my bags have been packed and at the door. Just in case!

Unknown said...

Kristin - I'm from GA and we have a had few Hurricane scares but I've never evacuated. Hurricanes are so SCARY!

Unknown said...

MrsTDJ - Thanks, Thank goodness Mother Nature has been good to us for the last few days!