Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Animal Rights Activists Would Have My Head!

Ginger and I went on our morning walk.  The weather this morning was bearable for a good walk/run.  There sky was cloudy, just the way I like it in the morning to block out the HOT sun.  I added in a little extra today, even though my legs are cramping like crazy.  Other than that, I felt great.

But.....

Poor Ginger obviously wasn't feeling the same way.  Halfway through the running part, she STOPPED!  Yep, just STOPPED and layed down in a shady stop.  

Of course, we are in Arizona, so there aren't many shady spots because there aren't any TREES!

But she managed to find a shady spot next to a wall and...  STOPPED!



"Okay," I said. "I'll give you a minute."  I gave her a little wtter from my waterbottle, snapped a picture of her and it was time to pick up the pace.  

Well, after about another quarter mile, something was slowing down my stroll.

I take a look back at the dog, who was now WALKING in slow motion.  SHE. WAS. DONE!

For a minute, I thought we were going to have to sit down and wait out her exhaustion.  She would not walk faster than a slow crawl.

So, we walk the rest of the .25 mile at a snails pace back to the house.  

When we get home, I spray her down with the water hose.  I'd called my mom on our crawl back to the house and she suggestion the poor dog might have heat exhaustion.  

Now, she's laying next to her bowl, drinking ice water and panting heavily.  

Ginger is NOT that dog who enjoys exercise!  Maybe it's time for a Golden Retriever puppy.

No comments: