Saturday, September 19, 2009

Can't spoil the fun.

I told a friend of mine that I'd take picture of her and her kids.

I have the nice camera and I'm hoping to be able to learn to really use it one day.

So, after some pushing from an awesome photographer friend, I decided to ask a friend whose husband is also deployed if she'd let me practice on her and her 3 girls.

Open Mouth. Insert Foot.

She wants pictures of her kids but more than that, she wants pictures of herself.... in costumes... for her husband. 12 poses, 12 costumes, for a calendar.

Okay, I'm all for the happy little family pictures, but I don't know that I'm ready for the freaky deaky stuff.


**********************************************

Hubs seems to think that I do too much for the kids. He feels like kids should have it like we did back in the days when kids didn't get an opinion, when they just had to go with what the grown folk decided and speak only when spoken to. Whenever I say something like, "The kids want to have a movie night, so I'm going to get a movie," or "The kids want Hamburger Helper. We're gonna run to the store," he says that I do to much for them.

I totally disagree! I mean, my kids work hard around the house just like I do. I'm so sure that on many occasions you have read how I call them my slaves. They are responsible for their room and their bathroom, folding their clothes, taking out the trash, emptying the dishwasher, sweeping the porch and sometimes washing the dog.

They are not spoiled by any means because we only buy them toys or games on gift-giving occasions. So for me to allow them to decide on occasion what we should do for the day or what we should eat, take them to all the birthday parties they can attend, and chauffeur them to all kids of fun days and events, does not make them spoiled and does not mean that they are running me over.

I enjoy doing things with them.

They are only young once.

These are days they can never get back. It's not me spoiling them.

It's me doing something for them that makes them happy, because God knows they make me happy without even trying.

1 comment:

T.Allen said...

Aww, you're a mom after my own heart. I'm home with my children all of the time whilst my Favorite Guy is at work. We have a special bond, and with that bond come our own little system...it works (of course sometimes it doesn't and I come undone) for the most part.

I enjoy their input-even when it isn't gonna go down their way. Especially with my almost 18 year old, having that open dialog and him feeling his thoughts and opinions matter has really helped me to understand the insanity of puberty. You'll be rewarded for taking one for the team, trust me! :D