Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tell It Like It T-I-Z Tuesday


Tell It Like It TIZ Tuesday

This is where I pick absolutely any topic and voice my opinion, no matter what it may be. I'll be talking about anything from fashion to politics. What ever float my fancy on Tuesday. Some people might really be interested in my opinion, others won't. It's okay. Everybody can't be swimming in my world of fabulocity!
And NOW! I'd like you guys to join in with me. Melissa @ Life with 3 Boys & a Little Lady thought that some of you might wanna take a day to Tell It Like It T-I-Z too. So I'm installing my first Mr. Linky for all you to join. All you have to do is go to your blog, TELL IT LIKE IT IS and come back here and use Mr. Linky to get set.
I can't wait to read what you guys have to TELL IT LIKE IT T-I-Z about!


***************************************************************

Separating Religion and Politics


So I went to church today. For me that's an accomplishment. This is my 3rd Sunday in a row attending this church (enter cheering sound effects here). Yes I know it is pitiful and bad of me, but I've been in the process of searching for a church for a while to no avail. Okay, yes, I may have too many stipulations.



First, it has to have a great children's program. If the kids don't want to go, neither do I.

Second, it should be close to home. I don't like driving too far. Gas prices fluctuate way to much to have to drive The Gator too far.

Third, service should not last more than 2 hours. Preferable less. I tend to get tired if it last too much longer than that. I will not attend anymore churches that last 3.5 hours.

Fourth, the Pastor has to have meaningful things to say and has to be a true man or woman of god. Must be a teacher and a leader.

Fifth, I'd prefer a non denominational church. I tend to enjoy these more because they spend less time talking about religion and more time on the Word.

And a slammin' music ministry wouldn't hurt, but that's not a major thing. I'm willing to just enjoy my kinda music in the car before I get to church.



Okay, well in my search, I found this church and I figured that it fulfilled most of my wants. Music not really up my alley considering that it is a "all white church", and lets face it, we just have different kinds of music. But the church was comfortable, the people are great and the pastor really seemed get to you, you know?

WELL, that was until today. My 3rd Sunday visit. The sermon where he told the congregation who to vote for. Well, he had said the week before that he was going to preach on "who God wants you to vote for". I have to say, this peeked my interest a bit which is a BIG reason I went to service this morning. I mean, is he really going to tell his listeners who they should vote for? Is that not crossing the lines a little? Is that not a little controversial?


He talked about choosing your candidate for Jesus and not for yourself. Base your decisions on Character, Conviction, Compassion, Courage.

- You should not choose someone for lower taxes and gas prices.
- Look at who the candidate associates with.
- Choose someone who is courageous.
- Don't choose someone who is for abortion or teen pregnancy prevention methods.
- And I think that the thing that really got me was when he said to choose someone who has compassion, but not someone who is talking about giving people welfare and the opportunity to "sit back and live off the government".


Hmm, so who do you think this Pastor is voting for?


A church has a huge impact on the way it's members think and the choices they make. I want to know is there a place for politics in the church? Should the pastor try to persuade people to vote for their political party choice?

And for the record, I'm in a personal bout with myself as to whether I'll go back next week. I mean seriously I was a bit perturbed, as my mom always says. I mean, here I am already sticking out like a sore thumb being one out of 3 African Americans in the room. This sermon made me feel even more out of place. I felt it was a sneaky way to bash Obama and guide church members to vote for (his words)"who God would chose for President." What do you guys think?



11 comments:

Melissa said...

Yay... you know I was going to be over here telling it like it tiz!! Oh and btw, I know what you mean about the churches and their candidate... my ex- MIL keeps saying the same things "are you going to vote for someone who is pro-choice?" "who is....blah, blah..."? Whatever!!

Rhonda said...

Wow. He definitely over-stepped a bit. BUT, he did it in a way that would be seen by his devoted congregation as "teaching" and "leading". I do agree with what he said, but there is a time and a place.

Barbara said...

Wow! Could barely finish reading this. See, and this is why I DON'T go to church, lol. Like you said, I wanna be in a place that teaches me THE WORD and that is very accepting and non-judgemental. Those types of churches within particular faiths are very few.

I damn near raised my hand in church the day I heard my pastor say that although men and women are equal, the man is basically the one who runs things.

I hope that you can find what you are looking for in a church home soon.

Barbara said...

Oh yeah... and one more thing:

I seriously dislike when pastors take their own thoughts and beliefs and tell their congregation that they are those of God. Shame on him!!

Kirsten said...

I think you should find another church!

Mommy In Pink said...

I totally agree with you on your stipulations for finding a church...those are all the things I would look for too...as for the pastor giving a sermon on who to vote for...well that's just umm...dumb in my opinion. It's a very personal choice and should not be talked about in church...that's ridiculous! We should pray to God for the answers and not be persuaded by a pastor who thinks they have all they have all the answers. Good luck in your quest to find a decent church.

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

Melissa - tell your ex-MIL that I am pro-choice. Why? because sometimes it's just not the time for a baby. Sorry to those that don't agree (could my mouth be why my reader numbers are so low?)

Rhonda - Time and place is all I'm saying. Not that I don't think he should stand up for who he believes in, just not trying to use his ties with God to persude a personal decision.

Ms. Bar B - you KNOW I wanted to raise my hand ans start a debate. I had a situation similar to that and I never went back to that over.

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

Kristen - Another church might be my next road.

Kristy - Amen! we should pray for the answers. I feel He will tell us which way to go and not the pastor.

La Pixie said...

I think the pastor should TOTALLY advise people to pray and think about who they are going to vote for ahead of time.

should the pastor TELL them who to vote for? nope.

but I think the same about public figures like celebrities. be vocal about voting, but shut your pie hole about who you pick.

I think you should go back, though. I think you should see what the pastors reaction is to the election results. if the pastor is a jerk, then you know that youre in the wrong place. if not, maybe he just lost his mind temporarily in the hysteria of politics.

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

I think another visit is logical. He didn't seem like the type of person that is a big jerk. And the kids LOVE the church.

I'm kinda afraid that they might take me in the back woods though. LOL!

Anonymous said...

This doesn't surprise me, sadly. I have heard so many times about preachers doing this...and well, it makes me sick/sad/mad and so on and so forth.

But good for you if you go back, cuz I'm the type that would just disappear and keep searching for the right church, which btw....I feel the same way about the list of things needed;) LOL