Saturday, August 16, 2008

This is a RECESSION!

Coming home from the commissary today an overwhelming gloom fell over me. This happens lately almost every time I go grocery shopping. The food prices are ridiculously high and the budget I once set for groceries can no longer buy as much as it once did. The dollar is not stretching as far as it did and it seem.... no I am getting the same amount of things for 30% more of than I was once paying. That in itself makes grocery shopping a sad time for me, although it is the beginning stage of my favorite pass time. Eating.

One the way home I passed two of our local businesses that had gone out of business. One had a rented moving truck outside. It's sad to know that so many small businesses are suffering. Our town is so small and there's not much more you can take away.

As I'm writing, I'm also texting a friend of mine who is out looking for book covers for her son. She can't find any large ones, as the teacher requested. You know what my answer is to that? Paper Bags! This is a RECESSION! Isn't that what our parents use to do? I'm serious about that too. I still need a few more book covers to cover all the textbooks Runnin' Man has this year and I think I'm just going to go that route. Hey it was good enough for us! I'll just make a big deal about how he can draw on them and decorate them how ever he wants to. Think that will still go over with a 3rd grader?

I'm saddened by this whole recession thing and the fact that I have to cut back EVERYWHERE POSSIBLE. I guess the only good thing that might come out of it is that we will definitely learn the 3 R's. Recycle, Renew, Reuse! (That is what they are, right?)

Recycling has really been on my mind lately and probably my next big community venture. We'll see.

2 comments:

Petula said...

Yea, I know what you mean. I've been clipping coupons like crazy, ordering free samples, getting buy one get one frees and all kinds of things to make up the difference.

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

I'm thinking of renting out my kids. They're old enough to do yard work. Know anyone?? LOL.